Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I guess Amazon is not interested.

I got an email from an annoyed user of my Linear Algebra text.  They had bought a paper copy and also bought a book of answers to the exercises.  The thing is, though, that the answers to exercises book that they bought, published by someone that I don't know, is from 2012.  So it doesn't match the 2022 version of the text.  That's why they wrote me, annoyed.

I explained that because the license is Free it allows people to do what they want with the work and in particular it allows someone to post the answers as a book on Amazon, and this person did just that, in 2012.  They haven't updated it.

I also went to Amazon and posted a user review for that book, explaining the situation, so a potential buyer would have a heads-up.  A couple of days later I got a notice from Amazon, saying this.

Thank you for submitting a customer review on Amazon. After carefully reviewing your submission, your review could not be posted to the website. It appears your content did not comply with our guidelines.

While we appreciate your time and comments, reviews must adhere to the following guidelines

Amazon Community Guidelines

from James S. Hefferon on February 12, 2022

THese are quite old

I am Jim Hefferon, the author of the Linear Algebra textbook. I am not the producer of this version so I cannot withdraw it. But please note that the text has new versions since these answers were produced, and these do not match the current text.

(My comment had more but they only included the first few sentences.)  They also gave a list of things I might have done wrong.  
A few common issues to keep in mind:
Your review should focus on specific features of the product and your experience with it. Feedback on the seller or your shipment experience should be provided at https://www.amazon.com/hz/feedback.
We do not allow profane or obscene content. This applies to adult products too.
Advertisements, promotional material or repeated posts that make the same point excessively are considered spam.
Please do not include URLs external to Amazon or personally identifiable content in your review.
Any attempt to manipulate Community content or features, including contributing false, misleading, or inauthentic content, is strictly prohibited.

Obviously this leaves a person taking a stab at precisely what is their objection.  OK, I'll stab.

Cearly I am focused on specific features of the product.  I did not get a shipment, so I'm not complaining about that.  I did not swear.  I did not contribute false or misleading content.  So they objected to my naming myself as the author?  

Crazy. 

No comments: