Follow by Email

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Installing MicroPress's Computer Concrete fonts onto TeX Live under Linux

 I own the Computer Concrete fonts from MicroPress. These are outline fonts so they look nice at any magnification. Because I use a concrete font in my Beamer presentations, the characters get blown up to a good size and I'd like them to show well, so I wanted to install these.

I have Ubuntu 11.04 with a current TeX Live that I installed off the web.  I looked in my local TeX directory /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts (I used this location instead of /usr/share/texmf because it will survive if I install a later version of TeX Live.)

I loaded the vendor's CD into the machine, where it showed up as /media/CFonts/CFONTS.dir.  I see directories for afm, inf, pfb, pfm, setup, and tfm.  There are also some .zip files containing LaTeX styles that I don't think I need as they come with TeX Live.

1) As sudo, I copied the files from /media/CFonts/CFONTS.dir/afm and /media/CFonts/CFONTS.dir/inf into /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/afm/public/cfonts after making that directory. I was told to put the inf stuff in there also by the TeX Directory Standard document. I made the file permissions rw for the owner root, r for the group, and r for others.

2) I copied the files from the CD's pfb and pfm directories into /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/cfonts after making that directory. As above, I combined the file types in the one directory on the advice of the TDS document, and changed the permissions as above.

3) I copied the files from the CD's tfm directory into /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cfonts after making the directory, and I changed the file permissions as above.

4) I copied the CD's /media/CFonts/CFONTS.dir/setup/dvips/CONCRETE.MAP into /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/cfonts/oncrete.map after making that directory.  I changed its file permissions.

5) On the advice of TUG's font installation page, from the directory /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/cfonts I ran "sudo texhash" and also "sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=concrete.map"

It worked. The next time I compiled my .tex to a .pdf I could see in the File > Properties > Fonts tab that the cc fonts were included as Type 1.

By the way, I use this LaTeX style to get the concrete fonts.

% From Walter Schmidt post on ctt Jan 10 2005
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ccr}
\usepackage[euler-digits]{eulervm}
\linespread{1.04} % approximately
\renewcommand{\bfdefault}{sbc}
% \usepackage{mathdots}

Put it in /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/local/conc.sty and run "sudo texhash" to have it be available as a normal LaTeX style.

No comments: